Thursday, July 26, 2007

CUPIDS BACK, AND THIS TIME HE'S... got, um, a little bow and arrow...



I may appear to be a tad fascinated with this concept, but am faced again with the whole set up sitch. I know, I know, better than me sitting at home with nothing better to do than opening the tins of roo meat and sharing them with the pugs, but bear with me.

And no, I am not terribly worked up about it all, but it raises an amusing and interesting philosophical question. Exactly for whose benefit is the whole set up being perpetrated?

There are several players here - the first one is easy - the person doing the setting up - let's call her (it usually is a her) Cupid.

The other two are the issue. One of the two will inevitably be a slightly closer friend of the Cupid than the other one. So is the Cupid just bringing out an occasional carousel of single eligibles for their good male or female (as the case may be) friend to peruse? Who is the 'catch' here, and who needs the help?

And if it doesn't work, whose side does the Cupid take, if they have to take a side. See, it is all very messy, when you think about it. First mistake - thinking about it.

I don't really think that the Cupid simply has 2 single friends that they suddenly think would be a match made in heaven. No, they are pimping for one, and pimping the other.

Then again, I realise that at the end of the day it is probably primarily for the edification (sorry, that is probably another word like amenable that I shouldn't use on dates, isn't it) of the Cupid in the first place, isn't it. Ah, it all makes sense now. Now where did I put that can opener...

10 Comments:

At 4:14 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Some really interesting stuff there, WJ.
I hope you escape from that man's body you're trapped in some day...

 
At 4:45 pm, Blogger WJ said...

Thanks for your contribution fingers.

If I do I will let you borrow it, although it might be a bit big for you...

 
At 10:27 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is worse: getting fixed up all the time by someone, or not even coming to mind when someone has someone else they want to fix up?

ponder... hmmmm...

 
At 11:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

And if/when you do get set up with a friend of a friend, you have to behave yourself otherwise you get in trouble from Cupid!

I've never been set up, but I did meet, like, 3 boys in a row at other people's birthday parties. Friends of friends are actually usually pretty good matches since you automatically have common ground... and also some reassurance that neither of you is a serial killer.
; )

 
At 9:06 am, Blogger WJ said...

kelly: good point, there are worse situations to be in, I know. It is just the question of why these (several) friends feel the need on an ongoing basis. It isn't like I can't get a date. Perhaps it is just that the smug marrieds aren't comfortable with having one of their circle not settled down yet...?

SB, you do have to be on best behaviour, especially in case you are the fodder and not the one Cupid is looking after!

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

I hear that kelly. You start to question things when you never get offered up as set up fodder. Or at least I do.

 
At 10:50 pm, Blogger Steph said...

I think stupid cupid's do it for their own amusement really, but as we discussed earlier, the set-ee is the catch........or sumthin.....can't remember.

 
At 1:01 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe they feel like if they are miserably married, you have to be too? LOL... I am sure that is it!

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger WJ said...

TC, it may not help, but usually on the odd occasion I am offered up as fodder, I would rather be at home with a bottle of red. Probably better conversation that way too...

Steph - exactly right, stupid cupids, settees, catches, it is all making sense...

kelly, I suspect that pain shared isn't really pain halved though, is it? Can't hurt them to try though eh?

 
At 10:31 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a crazy world.

Miss W, you are a catch. You just haven't found the catcher yet.

i also think Stupid Cupids are more likely to be women and are more likely to "help" male friends... I don't know if it's a mothering instinct, or because they really want to *experience* their male friends vicariously!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home