Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Is it Fancy Dress or is it a Costume Party?

I was asked this question by an American friend of the host of a Fancy Dress party I went to on the weekend. We agreed that it probably doesn't matter, and that the English should really have the right to decide what the correct term is. I then added that I thought they called it a Fancy Dress party, which went down like a pork terrine at a Bar Mitzvah.

While a Fancy Dress is usually something that an Australian lass wears to the races or her wedding, it is also pretty well universally understood that when someone is having a Fancy Dress party, they get to decide at least the theme to which all guests (or at least those with any balls) must comply. How stupid you want to make yourself look in the process is of course up to you.

The theme for this particular do was to go as "What you wanted to be when you were 6". I am sure that at that age I mainly wanted to be bigger (be careful what you wish for...), but as I didn't fancy wandering around all Saturday night in a Sumo Suit, I eschewed my dress loincloth and fell back on the other, quite true option - a fireman.

My old man was a firey, so not only did I really want to be one as a kid, but it was also quite easy for me to get me hands on the gear. Thus Saturday night saw me wandering around Rushcutters Bay dressed as a fireman, no doubt to the amusement of the few people whose paths I crossed as I looked for the apartment in question. The fact that I was wearing a substantial helmet and almost as substantial axe in a pouch attached to my equally substantial belt made me both self-conscious and rather anxious not to run into the local constabulary.


I eventually found the party, and was met with a fine assortment of costumes, along with the usual boring types who couldn't be arsed and made up some lame excuse about just coming from another party/Live Earth/the Starship Enterprise to cover for the fact that they didn't have a costume and therefore astonishingly felt left out.

A fun night was had by all, and I am able to attest to the old chestnut about men in uniform. No less than 2 members of the opposite sex (girls, that is) pointed out how much they liked the costume - on separate occasions. I thanked them and pointed out that their costumes were good too (whatever they were), at which point they felt obliged to clarify and add that the uniform really did look quite good. Again I thanked them, and obviously needing to do some remedial education for this bloke in the firey kit who wasn't quite getting it, pointed out that they REALLY liked the costume, and that if they weren't taken, they would have taken me home that night.

While this is only marginally better than your mum telling you what a handsome boy you are (the two girls in question being engaged and living with her boyfriend respectively and were therefore able to throw that shit out there with impunity), it doesn't do any harm to the self-esteem, even if it is purely based on wearing your old man's cast off uni.

So fellas, there you go, apparently the uniform really does work. Girls, I don't need to tell you that, clearly. But if you see a bloke wandering around Newtown in a slightly out of date firey's outfit (as he may or may not be doing each Saturday night from here on in), go easy on him...

13 Comments:

At 4:35 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me be the first of the ladies to say that the Sexy Fireman outfit can not be underestimated. Coast Guards are hot too. Maybe it's a Brawny Rescuer thing.

I think the closest thing on your side would be how y'all feel about the Naughty Schoolgirl. You know, white shirt, short skirt, knee socks...

Policeman is not as sexy, probably because they're supposed to keep within the confines of the law.
; )

 
At 9:26 am, Blogger fingers said...

..."What you wanted to be when you were 6". I am sure that at that age I mainly wanted to be bigger...

Nice use of the apostrophes, numb nuts...

 
At 9:30 am, Blogger WJ said...

sorry fingers, didn't mean to ruin your enjoyment of my little tale there.

Seeing as you have so much time on your hands, should I take it that the hunting hasn't been successful, or is it more a matter of the blunderbuss misfiring?

 
At 9:38 am, Blogger WJ said...

SB, I take your point about the schoolgirl thing, although the difference is that it really only works when on a woman, not on an actual schoolgirl, whereas it seems you lot would very happily get your hands on a real firey!

Policeman thing definitely not as cool, but at least they come with built in cuffs.

 
At 9:46 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh that's true (about the schoolgirl thing) - I never thought about it like that, WJ!

Why does it work? Is it a nostalgia thing?

 
At 9:48 am, Blogger WJ said...

no, probably just a sexiness thing, plus the whole implied naughtiness factor of course.

Let's face it, tight white shirt, short skirt and long socks is gonna look good whether they are school uni style or all pure Goth black!

 
At 1:41 pm, Blogger fingers said...

I'm afraid details of the hunt will remain a secret until after we break up.
Those are the rules...

 
At 1:45 pm, Blogger WJ said...

I completely understand - it makes the smuggling of black market elephants (or ivory bits, depending on where the relationship is at) very difficult if you talk about it a lot.

Nothing worse than tipping off the border guards that you are coming...

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger Mex said...

i done poo poo

 
At 8:51 am, Blogger WJ said...

Mex, please clean up after yourself and try to do it outside the blog, not on the carpet.

And what is with locking me out of P or R? Lemme in, dammit...

 
At 10:24 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

God WJ, I just don't know how you manage to stay single with women literally shitting themselves just to get your attention.

; )

 
At 3:14 pm, Blogger WJ said...

It is a constant battle, SB, that is for sure.

Just between you and me, the whole Eau de Manure Parfum isn't my thing, but some girls just don't seem to be able to control themselves...

 
At 11:40 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home