Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Skippy munching

Hi folks. Had an exciting evening last night - came home, cooked up some dinner, and then finished the Harry Pooter. I won't bore you all with discussions about Pooter, as those of you interested will have had your fill, and those not interested even more so.

I will bore you about something else. A piece on the radio this morning prompted some thought. A state in the US, no less than California, has banned the sale of adidas sports shoes made from Skippy leather, despite attempts to create an industry in roo meat and other products. This makes sense to me, as they are in ever-increasing proportions in the bush, and if farmed would be a darn-sight less environmentally damaging than the baa-baas and moos that we run currently.

Why this issue today? Dinner last night was some corn on the cob (yummo) and a Skippy steak sambo. I eat Skip from time to time, but not all that often, and every time I do I am struck by its flavour, leanness and how easy it is to cook. Why don't we eat more of it?

Is it a philosophical issue with eating something from our coat of arms? I don't quite understand that, as we (or at least most of us) are quite happy to eat other animals that are probably treated far less humanely than roos would be if farmed (I am speculating here, but don't let that get in the way of a good opinion, or my opinion for that matter).

It comes in steaks, snags, plus even marinated for those of you either too lazy or unimaginative to come up with something yourselves (ooh, controversy).

Is it too 'gamey' for you? I don't really understand this either, as the taste is not as strong as venison or other 'game' meats, but then I do have a robust appetite, to say the least, and while I like to think that I am discerning about what I enjoy, I am not what one might call a 'fussy eater'.


Plus, it is cheaper than other red meats (certainly of equivalent standard), not to mention other exotic meats which can cost a fortune.
Or is the problem just the fact that it is called 'australus'? Jesus, who won that write-in competition?

What do you think?

21 Comments:

At 12:22 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Did your steak come out of the same can as the pugs' dinner...

 
At 12:28 pm, Blogger WJ said...

No fingers, the pugs don't eat from cans, they find the can-opener too challenging.

Having said that, I did love 'Braised steak and onions' out of a can when I was a kid. Mmmm, braised steak and onions on toast...

 
At 1:53 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Stoopid pugs.
My Bengals can make themselves melted tuna sandwiches already...

 
At 1:55 pm, Blogger WJ said...

Yeah, but then the Alan Jones model of sponsoring immigration was never one I adopted fingers...

Don't get me wrong, I have trained them to mix and very good G & T, it is just the leverage needed to get the can-opener through the lid that proves problematic.

 
At 9:21 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You could probably have saved this conversation for the over breakfast chit chat. You would be able to kiss and make up easier that way.

Oh, you gay boys are so cute...

You know I am a fag-hag right? Want to go shopping some time?

 
At 11:15 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've eaten kangaroo. It's tasty. I would probably eat more of it if (a) I still lived in Australia and (b) I wasn't married to a vegetarian!

I've also eaten venison and rabbit and liked both. There's something delightfully medieval about eating "game" meats.

Australus sounds like something between one's toes that requires the application of anti-fungal creams. I would much rather eat kangaroo than australus. Marsu almost works, but it's still a bit twee, since it's so clear where it comes from.

 
At 9:04 am, Blogger WJ said...

Kelly, any time sweetness. We will have to leave fingers at home though, as his taste is in his arse.

SB I love venison, and had some in Scotland when I was there (which is not that different to coming to Australia and eating roo, really). It was amazing, then again the beer before and whisky after the meal may be tinting the memories...

 
At 2:10 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Roo is quite tasty, except for when you are eating roo stew with the family's pet kangaroo wandering at your feet. Then it is disconcerting....

 
At 3:01 pm, Blogger fingers said...

True, W.
I remember how disconcerted my first g/f's mother was when she walked in and caught me eating her daughter...

 
At 3:03 pm, Blogger WJ said...

How disconcerting exactly? Did the pet roo have any chunks taken out of it?

[yes, eeeuw. I know already. All in the name of amusing my readership. If I can call 4 of you a readership]...

 
At 4:32 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Are you dizzy yet, WJ ??
Over here waxing on about venison, G&Ts and calling Kelly 'sweetness'.
Meanwhile over at BimboWorld, you're using bad language and suggesting chicks are only good for one thing.
It's like listening to Joh Bailey call State of Origin...

 
At 5:16 pm, Blogger WJ said...

No fingers, don't do dizzy.

And I am not suggesting chicks are only good for one thing - actually suggesting they should be good at several. To get the Trekkie toys, that is. Some things are just not negotiable...

I guess I must be even more complicated and multi-faceted than you thought, eh?

 
At 5:27 pm, Blogger fingers said...

'I guess I must be even more complicated and multi-faceted than you thought, eh?'

You'd have to be...

 
At 5:28 pm, Blogger WJ said...

I'll pay that...

 
At 7:59 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Shit fingers. All I could do was hear you saying eating your gf with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

WJ, it was in WA, what can I tell you. Pet kangaroo named Lucy was disconcerting enough...

 
At 11:35 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

his taste is in his arse?! Look at what you are wearing! The sword is such an overrated accessory!

Did you just call me sweetness? wow...

 
At 7:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fingers - who exactly is JOH Bailey???

The former Qld Premier who used to co-host Sale of the Century?

; )

 
At 7:23 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hehe

fingers is senile

*blows a kiss to fingers*
you know I still love ya...

 
At 8:46 am, Blogger WJ said...

TC, that explains much - they ARE rather different over there...

kelly, you wanted fag, I gave you fag. Holy crap some people are hard to please. Oh, and you are just jealous of the swort because you don't have one.

SB, not getting between you and fingers, I know what is good for me.

 
At 9:03 am, Blogger fingers said...

SB: Joh Bailey is a celebrity/fag/hairdresser...very upmarket apparently. I suspect you would have to sell the trailer just to afford a fringe-trim down at his salon...

 
At 3:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

-->
That's me! Hard to please...

I have sword envy...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home