Tuesday, July 17, 2007

You are too old to be out drinking on a Tuesday night...


Yes, I know that I keep myself in shape (as you can see from my portrait), but even with a strict healthy eating and exercise regime, one can only slow the ravages of time so much. [Oh, and don't you love the use of 'one' to describe oneself, it is most of the way towards describing oneself in the 3rd person - it is what all the cool sports stars are doing these days...]


And so it is with one's ability to recover. No, I am not talking about how quickly one can bounce back from a debilitating case of the flu (which isn't really the flu, but that is a whole other strain of virus), no, I am talking about how well one can function after a big night out.


I go to the pub almost every Tuesday night with a bunch of friends. I good time is had by all, not least those of the group (being the majority these days) who are Dads, and therefore get Tuesday night as their leave pass for the week. They are the ones who are trawling the Inner West for open bars and kebab purveyors (not necessarily in that order, either on a chronological or order of importance basis). Even those of us who are footloose and fancy free (no, this isn't a Nancy Sinatra song, and please note that it was not Footloose and therefore Kevin Bacon will not be appearing) are often out until at least midnight. Yes, midnight!


Now I hear all you young denizens of the internet (and fingers) turning your nose up at such softness, but I do in all honesty find that a solid 5 hours of drinking on a Tuesday night does not a happy Wednesday make. I can still back up with at least some form on a weekend, even if Sunday is spent at least in part getting intimate with my couch, but Tuesday is just plain silly.


That all said, I am off to the pub tonight, regular as clockwork (I am going to avoid the obvious fibre jokes here).


What are you lot up to this evening? Assuming hardly anyone will read this today, I am happy to take feedback on your Wednesday plans.


Actually, assuming anyone reads this at all, put down whatever you bloody well want...

14 Comments:

At 11:22 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh man... I know.

I used to be able to put away, like, 5 shots plus at least 2 mixed drinks back in the day, with absolutely no hangover the next day.

Now I can barely drink one drink without getting sleepy and dizzy.

Maybe I should stop ordering Rohyptinis. (okay that last bit was a joke)

Sorry, I know that doesn't help you much, considering you're SO much older than me!!!

; )

 
At 1:43 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Conan can't take a drink or two without turning into the kindergarten cop? what's up with that?

Kelly thinks that one should own up to elderly age and give in to bingo night rather than Tuesday with the boys...

:-)

 
At 8:24 am, Blogger WJ said...

SB, it isn't really the drinking so much as the late night COMBINED with the drinking then having to get up early and go to work that is the problem.

I am clearly Robinson Crusoe on that island...

kelly, one has no idea who this Conan character is that one is talking about, but one (while perhaps not shaping up quite so well in the morning as one used to) isn't quite at the stage when one is using oversized textas to colour in numbered boxes while being screamed at by a failed radio DJ.

Or so they tell me...

 
At 10:30 am, Blogger fingers said...

Fingers thinks Kelly's going to be paying for men to do handywork around the house for a long, long time with her shitty attitude...

 
At 2:02 pm, Blogger WJ said...

too true fingers, I had the ladder on the roof racks until I saw that post...

fuggeddit.

 
At 3:13 pm, Blogger Mex said...

i confess i am no longer the mad piss cutter i used to be.

my sunday nights are now spent at home on the couch watching TV with bed by 9.30 rather than out at the pub getting ridiculuously smashed until close.

 
At 5:04 pm, Blogger WJ said...

Whoever you are, if you just give mex back unharmed, we won't ask any questions.

I play basketball on a Sunday - several benefits - I get to go to the pub after the game (a perfect excuse for drinking), I can't drink too much as I am usually knackered, and I sleep well.

Somewhere in between our current stands on this sounds about right...

 
At 3:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh yeah. School night, up late & drinking; not the best combo.

that reminds me of the time I went out to "work drinks" at my first full-time job.

all my co-workers were accomplished alcoholics... I have vague memories of losing count of how many drinks I''d had and karaoke-ing "Bootylicious".

I had to call in sick the next day and lay around on the couch vowing Never to Drink Again. Which of course stuck until the next invitation to go out drinking.
; )

 
At 3:38 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahaha! that is ok... I am still young enough to do it.. :-P

 
At 7:19 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SouthernBelle is with Kelly on the paying of others to do stuff.

Fortunately for SouthernBelle's bank account, Mr. Belle is v. big on DIY.

: )

 
At 9:18 am, Blogger WJ said...

kelly, I assume we are still talking about your renovations? I am still young enough to do it too, but old enough not to have to.

SB, I know some people who are into paying people to do stuff too, but I think that is different to what you are talking about...

 
At 11:05 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

SouthernBelle has NEVER had to pay for *that*. She's too cute.

; )

 
At 10:04 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you may be old enough to not have to do it yourself, which is great for you old man... however I am still young enough to not only do it myself (without being sore for days)... but to get someone to do it for me... for free.

It is good to be a girl. ;-)

How old are you anyway? haha!

 
At 10:26 am, Blogger WJ said...

kelly, I am simply jealous, I am one of those poor suckers that gets to do shit for girls like you with the batting eyelashes and winsome damsel-in-distress acts...

Some of the time. Right now, no eyelash or damsel action, so I just get to do it for myself, so to speak.

Don't you know it is rude to ask a Barbarian his age?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home