Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Eventful Week

It wasn't really, but you lot are very fickle and I do realise that I am not exactly regular these days. I am advised that my home made muesli will assist with the latter (yes, toilet humour, but more about that later), but I need a headline to help with the former. Short of coming out with

FUR SEAL CUB IN CLUBBING INCIDENT - RECREATIONAL DRUGS SUSPECTED

I need to get your attention somehow. And yes, I do apologise for using that old faithful.

So this week has been interesting. My favourite restaurant was reviewed in the SMH Good Living last week and received a very good rating of 15/20. This is fantastic and very well deserved, although for those of us who actually want to make bookings, it is crap. You will notice that I haven't mentioned the name of the restaurant - selfish reasons, I assure you. It seats about 20-25 at a squeeze. The food is fantastic, service great, it is incredibly reasonably priced, and it is a 5 minute walk from my house. Now it will be booked out 4 weeks in advance, not just 2. I am very happy for Ross, really. Great news.

I also decided this weekend that I am completely disinterested in cricket. It may have something to do with the fact that Australia cant lose a raffle let alone a game at the moment. I did derive some considerable joy when the Poms were thrashed, and still do, just to see the resigned look of inevitability on their burnt pasty faces, but I don't want to watch the game itself. It is like watching a sick horse being bludgeoned to death using a wet newspaper. Not since the Super league fiasco have I had so little interest in an Australian sport. The only thing that could help would be if the Aussie boys played a bit more often, NBA style. we just don't see enough one-sided cricket these days.

I have decided that I need to obtain the entire set of Family Guy on DVD. A magnificent example of intelligent American humour. Yes, you read that right. Check it out NOW. This message is brought to you by Blockbuster.

Back to the toilet humour. I went to the Open Air Cinema (Lady Macquarie's Chair) and saw Kenny on Friday night. Awesome evening. Not only was the crowd pretty happy, what with it being Aussie Day and all, we had a fighter jet light up the afterburner and fly right across the skyline. I don't know whether you have been, but I don't think I have ever seen a more beautiful city skyline than Sydney on a fine summer evening from Lady Macquarie's Chair. Having a fighter jet light it up is like have a fuck-off big sparkler on your birthday cake. Or something like that.

The movie itself was very funny. I didn't expect much, but it is the most quintessential Aus. movie since The Castle. Lot's of toilet gags, but tastefully done (ok, not really, but work with me here), a swag full of Aussie sayings and one liners that could only have been bettered by my recently departed lovely Grandmother, and more portaloos than you could or would want to point, er, anything at. Check it out NOW. This might really be brought to you by Blockbuster. There is a fair chance that they will read this and give me a freeby or two, isn't there? You know, the anonymous blog that gets fewer hits than the English batting line-up...

THANK YOU, THANK YOU. NO REALLY, thank YOU.

14 Comments:

At 2:05 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Yes those bastards at the SMH. Making life hell for the rest of us.

Since I was there Thursday (NOT TOTALLY FULL, the HELL?) I can commiserate with you. Sort of.

Kenny is hilarious and seeing it outside it to be recommended.

 
At 6:38 pm, Blogger Original Mel said...

I say introduce DEATH CRICKET. Not sure exactly how it would work, but something along the lines of unexploded grenades being used as the balls, and maybe live snakes as bats. It's a concept I am working on, and all rights are reserved, orright.

 
At 3:11 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

WJ - you need to write more - your writing style is adorable! and it makes me miss Sydney.

I have to agree with Robin Williams' assessment of cricket - "baseball on valium"...

... however the Americans almost match cricket's snail pace with gridiron. The college games seem okay, cos there's biffo, but the SuperBowl is stultifyingly dull. Maybe it would be more fun if I understood what the hell was happening?

Family Guy definitely rocks, esp series 1-3. American Dad, by the same guy, is almost as funny but more surreal.

 
At 11:15 am, Blogger WJ said...

OK, I miss you too SB, but I won't have a bad word spoken against American Football, y'hear?

(and yes, I am translating this into faux southern talk to assist).

It is a fantastic game to watch, if a little hard to pick up. I plan on writing about the Superbowl shortly.

That'll bring back the readership. All 3 of you...

 
At 2:26 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's just so stop-start. and since they have to tell what moves (plays?) they're going to make, wouldn't the other team know exactly what play to make in response?

makes no sense.

still, Superbowl Day holds fond memories for me - since it was ushe on at the end of the school hols, I used to go over to my mum's (American) friend's house to eat hot dogs & Pringles & "watch the game" (read, play ith the other kids)

 
At 2:53 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Have you managed to poke the barmaid at that pub in Newtown yet...

 
At 2:50 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

but fingers, isn't he moving to daneland to roll herrings for a living?

; )

 
At 9:05 am, Blogger fingers said...

Keep up, Shrimp Breath.
Viking Quest has been shelved...

 
At 11:05 am, Blogger WJ said...

Have you ever had the feeling people are talking about you when you aren't in the room?

SB, the Dane and I are no longer an item. Back on the market. God help me...

fingers, stay tuned...

 
At 4:08 pm, Blogger Mex said...

are you tuning fingers? because thats just GROSS

 
At 4:17 pm, Blogger WJ said...

yech. no.

 
At 1:27 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh i'm so sorry dubs...

look out ladies of sydney!

; )

 
At 4:22 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

also, why is it that men never blog about relationships?

you'll moan about how the British are shit at cricket, but not your love-life?

weird. but we still like you.

xx

 
At 10:06 am, Blogger WJ said...

I am sure that the British are shit at my love life too, but at the moment I am proving best at being shit at my love life, so there.

But just for you I will post an update for your information and fingers' amusement...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home