Wednesday, September 13, 2006

so Su-shi me...

I eat at the sushi train in the local shopping centre quite a lot - we don't quite have the CBD range of culinary delights out here. Sushi is both tasty (when fresh and quality - which this place is, IMHO) and relatively healthy, at least in comparison to the OPorto, Thai bain-marie place, Kebabs and Subway that are the competition.

Now a friend, a former doctor who is a clever guy, has told me not to have too much sushi as the fish that are the primary source, salmon and tuna are also at the top of the local aquatic food chain (with the exception of the ones that are caught by human fishermen - something tells me they didn't quite graduate at the top of the food chain seeing as we are chowing down on them ourselves). This means that they have quite high concentrations of heavy metals, as it accumulates up the food chain, and the 'big fish' get all the crap from the little Nemo's they munch on. So this means you are meant to only have 2 serves of this type of fish per week.

I have no idea how much is in 2 serves, but having sushi 2 or 3 times a week probably puts me near that threshold, I suspect. So what the hell are we allowed to eat these days, other then a frickin salad? Cos I gotta say, the salad thing gets tired rather quickly, especially without any of that evil dressing, etc. Sheesh.

11 Comments:

At 5:04 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Okay, since I am waiting for dude using my new office to clear out, I googled for you:

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/s1413355.htm

Eat fish and prosper.

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger Original Mel said...

Doner kebabs. All the essential nutrients and vitamins in one easy to carry roll. Plus, they are really bloody tasty.

And nice work on avoiding the heavy metal puns. Not an Iron Maiden or Metallica in sight.

 
At 9:12 am, Blogger WJ said...

excellent work, thanks W.

So I guess I can keep eating all that salmon, but not so much wid da toona.

Ta Mel, (does that sound like a Star Trek name to anyone else?). It was a tough thing to do but I thought in the interest of maintaining the integrity of my subject matter, I should refrain from making arbitrary references to metal songs, lest people think I am some kind of monster. After all, the primary focus is in relation to the number of the beasts we should eat, at least while the memory remains, to give us piece of mind regarding these killers, after all it is a matter of life and death...

 
At 11:56 am, Blogger Mex said...

my friend never eats canned tuna because apparently it contains mercury or some shit.

but if i didnt eat it it would mean no more of one of my food groups - cans.

 
At 11:58 am, Blogger WJ said...

I love cans. Er, of food.

 
At 1:26 pm, Blogger mushroom said...

mmmm bioaccumulation.....if only fih smoked hooter

 
At 5:44 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Thanks Todd but I think I'll take my chances with the stuff at the top end of the food chain.
I'm sure eating ants is alot healthier but they are fucking difficult to eat with chopsticks...

 
At 11:07 am, Blogger WJ said...

Oh dear. I can't believe nobody got all my incredibly witty references to Iron Maiden and Metallica stuff.

Actually, I can believe it, as my hordes of visitors are less on the horde side and more on the Ben Folds Five side. Come on, throw me a frickin bone here.

 
At 11:10 am, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Sorry dude.

Iron Maiden and Metallica refs pass me right by.

 
At 4:31 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Iron who ??
Metal what...

 
At 2:59 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loooove sushi, it's so Japanese... of course their food would have to be artistically presented, not just tasty... and hey anything that involves prawns, I mean shrimp, is good!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home