Monday, November 05, 2007

Yes, I am showing off...


... and yes that it was that much fun probably goes to show that I should get out more.


I was in Melbourne last weekend for work. I also managed to score an invitation to the races - Derby Day. I am not much of a follower of the nags, but it is a fun day out, so of course I said yes.


What I didn't realise was that this invitation was to the corporate marquee in the Birdcage. Now I have subsequently ascertained that the Birdcage is where all the corporate bigwigs are, and consequently where there are lots of people happy to accept corporate largess. Including me.


SO I had to struggle through the security, trying not to look smug at the wannabes loitering outside, and make my way to the marquee. Then it would have been rude to not participate in sampling several of the beers, various wines, and cocktails that our barman was making us. The canapes that our waiter kept bringing were acceptable too.


It was a bit much when Sandra Sully stopped by to chat with Greg, one of our guests who she knew. I was almost disappointed to find out that she was really lovely, very down to earth, quite chatty but (I subsequently found out) putting a brave face on the awful suicide of her colleague the previous night. It would have been slightly better if she had been a stuck-up biotch.


I had a few wanders, and may have caught sight of one or two attractive lasses. And then about 2,000 more. Megan Gale - stunning. Naomi Robson - surprisingly gorgeous (and not a shoulder-lizard in sight). Jennifer Hawkins - yep, definitely. Oh yeah, and there were lots of footy players, and other blokes that I really didn't give a crap about.


Sooo, after I drank well, not my body weight, but the body weight of that hobbit-like pygmy species of human they found a few years back, in wine, we headed out for dinner at Botannical. Drank a couple of bottles of Felton Road pinot, ate some pretty bloody good food, Naomi Robson rocked up again (I think she was following me, but of course she was too shy to say anything to me), I then met up with some friends, and rounded out the night, hmm, morning, at the Melbourne Supper Club with some rather tasty Auslese.


Yes, I am a complete wanker for blogging this, but I have to say, what an absolute cracker of a weekend. And yes, I was frickin lucky. Indulge me already...

12 Comments:

At 11:41 pm, Blogger Steph said...

Lucky bastard!

That is all.

 
At 3:10 am, Blogger Original Mel said...

My mate was at teh same club as Kelly Osbourne the other week, and has since then told everyone he meets that he was out clubbing "with" her. By with he obviously means he tried to dance as close to her as possible without being kicked out. And took surrepticious photos of her on his mobile phone.

Thus, you clearly spent teh entire day at the races "with" your mates Sandra, Naomi and... the other one.

 
At 6:54 am, Blogger WJ said...

steph, yup. mental high fives all day.

OMel, the minder types wouldn't let anyone get too close to Megan, but I spent a good 20 minutes chatting with Sandra. V impressed.

Didn't speak to Naomi, but that would have led to me making half cut shoulder lizard references, which may not have been the smoothest...

 
At 11:52 am, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Lucky lucky lucky. And yes, slightly wankerish.

 
At 6:33 am, Blogger Les Miserable said...

Thats nothing Wozza...I spent last night in Paris.

 
At 2:27 pm, Blogger fingers said...

Did you ascertain whether Sandy Sully has overcome the problems associated with her whiffy smoo...

 
At 8:41 pm, Blogger WJ said...

One point to you Les. I can't compete with that Parisian shite. I spent a week in Edinburgh earlier this year, does that count?

fingers, I can't believe I forgot to ask her that. I certainly didn't detect any untoward odours, but then I had been into the wines for a while by that stage...

 
At 3:56 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please explain the "shoulder lizard" reference for those of us not in Straya?

 
At 7:49 pm, Blogger Lad Litter said...

Did a brief post on this deploring corporate hospitality excess sort of thing at ladlitter.blogspot.com

Steph summed it up best saying she hated it but would love to be invited!

 
At 7:58 am, Blogger SouthernBelle said...

dude, really, what is the whole shoulder lizard issue?

 
At 9:10 pm, Blogger Kylie said...

Update you lazy bugger!!

 
At 9:55 am, Blogger menna said...

مكافحة الفئران راس الخيمة
شركة مكافحة الصراصير راس الخيمة

 

Post a Comment

<< Home