Thursday, August 17, 2006

Extras Anyone?

I was a latecomer to The Office. Not this morning - I was bright eyed and bushy tailed today. Well, I was actually sore as a bastard and probably red eyed, but more on that later.

Where was I? Ah yes, The Office. It was a very funny show, with just the right mix of British character humour and excruciating situation comedy in the blacker sense of the word. I loved it. So it was with some excitement that I tuned in to Extras last night, being the new vehicle for Ricky Gervais and Stephen Merchant, the Office guys. Ricky plays Andy, an actor who is focusing on background with a view to moving into speaking parts... You can see where this is going.

I am risking this being exactly like about 14 million other sites/posts about this today, actually, it isn't a matter of risk, it IS like about 14 million other sites/posts about this today...

So..... How was it? Not quite more of the same, although certainly there are similarities in the awkward situations that the characters find themselves in, or more often put themselves in. There is less of an ensemble cast than the Office, although one episode is probably a harsh basis on which to make a call - no doubt more regulars will appear.

The other difference that came to my mind was the use of Hollywood/movie stars, last night Ben Stiller, to send themselves up. I didn't find this as titillating as some others might, although it is always fun to see these people able to take the piss.

I think that this will take a few episodes to grow on me, much as The Office did. It is always unfair to compare these things to previous work, especially something as successful as The Office, but then again, everyone will do just that, fair or no, so bugger it. More pressure this time around.

So what did you think? Did anyone watch?

Oh, and just because you all care, soreness and red-eyedness (pricecheck on red-eyedness please?) was due to a magnificent basketball victory - including 20 points from yours truly - last night after a few weeks off with illness (which put paid to any semblance of fitness to which I may have laid claim) and waking up early this morning respectively. It is all about the sharing, after all...

15 Comments:

At 11:36 am, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

I was watching our usual Wednesday night fare interspersed with soccer.

We are a geek house I am afraid. Wednesday is The New Inventors and Spicks and Soecks - even when there is no Lenka.

 
At 11:37 am, Blogger WJ said...

but hang on, aren't they on ABC? so what did you do at 9pm...?

 
At 11:50 am, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Worked a bit on a document. Baked cookies for my weekend trip.

It's an exciting life I lead.

 
At 12:02 pm, Blogger Original Mel said...

I am even geekier than W, I'm afraid. I was out but set my video to record The New Inventors. Spicks and Specks, The Extras and then NCIS (yes, you heard right, NCIS is my guilty pleasure) so I could watch them either tonight or on the weekend.

So I will be giving my opinion on teh weekend. Although Robbie Buck said that the first episode of The Extras was the weakest and to stick with it...

 
At 1:58 pm, Blogger WJ said...

I think I can (almost) top that - Tuesday night I watched the pre-season NFL - American Football - match between my beloved Minnesota Vikings and the LA Raiders. I had taped it that day.

This was a warm-up game, remember.

And I have never been to Minnesota.

 
At 2:37 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Steer clear of Minnesota. About the only thing it has to recommend it is that it has a Sak's Fifth Avenue.

Other than that? Fucking cold, and full of weirdos.

 
At 2:39 pm, Blogger WJ said...

I dunno, they have some pretty darn good lookin cheerleaders.

And for the record that is not the reason I support them.

 
At 4:01 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

*cough*BULLSHIT*cough*

 
At 4:12 pm, Blogger killerrabbit said...

Sorry to deviate from the conversation about some sport thing but I must share. I hate The Office! I'm sure I will hate Extras too. I hate the uncomfortable humour that Ricky Gervase inflicts. It reminds me of 1st season of Black Adder - and that was before they realised how good comedy could be written and lead to the genius of season 2,3 & 4.

Sorry about the small rant - but I really don't like it.

 
At 4:25 pm, Blogger WJ said...

W, you should get that seen to. A most unsightly affliction.

KR, I understand where you are coming from, I took a little while to warm to the Office. I suppose some of the appeal is that it is the antithesis of the archetypal American "Everybody Loves Raymond" (NB, no they don't) sort of shite we usually get served here.

 
At 4:43 pm, Blogger killerrabbit said...

I love Little Britian, but there are some bits in there that make me cringe....bitty anyone? But at least its funny, unlike The Office. I tried to like it. I really did.

 
At 11:03 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

god I love The Office, it makes you want to hide under the table and cover your eyes sometimes but it's sooooo real!

Raymond and Seinfeld make me want to do that but because of the inevitability of situations crashing down around dumbasses, rather than the sheer cringiness of characters/actions of the Office.

ps - kudos on the basketball - how many hoops did you have to get to get 20 points? that's awesome!

 
At 10:13 am, Blogger WJ said...

er, since I can't shoot a 3 to save my life, probably about 9 from the field (as we say in the game) and 2 free throws.

And you should in no way assume, just because I am quite excited about it, that I don't always shoot the lights out like that. Definitely not. No way. That would be completely off the mark...

 
At 3:54 pm, Blogger mushroom said...

2 from 2 from the line aint bad jordan

 
At 12:37 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good work (as per usual I'm sure ; )

I'd be lucky to throw the ball in the right direction let alone get it thru a teeny hoop!

ps here is the link to my chair - jealous much?

http://www.lazboy.com/ourfurniture/product.aspx?pid=4091,

 

Post a Comment

<< Home