Monday, September 11, 2006

DVD Store Blues

"[The Time Warp]? I hate it! It's boil-in-the-bag perversion for sexually repressed accountants and first-year drama students with too many posters of Betty Blue, The Blues Brothers, Big Blue and Blue Velvet on their blue bloody walls." Tim Bisley, Spaced.

Those of you who have visited before (yes, I know you have both been here a lot, just work with me, oh, and ta) will know that probably my favourite show is Spaced. You will also know that nobody I know has seen it unless I have shown it to them, which makes my desires to either (a) quote it or (b) discuss it equally futile. Yet it does brinng to mind an issue that has been bothering me recently on a few occasions when at home, less than entirely well.

Why is there so much crap at the DVD store? Most times I go, there might be something I haven't seen yet that looks vaguely ok, but most of the time it is pure crapola with an extra serving of kaka. I end up gravitating to the Weeklies section with movies I have almost all seen before. Many of them are crap too, don't get me wrong, but at least I know there will be something there worth watching. That or I could watch Firefly or Spaced with the commentaries on. Again.

For the record, I only own one of the movies Tim referred to, although I may have 2 different versions of it and lobby cards for same movie. Maybe. And no, I don't have any Betty Blue posters. Unfortunately. That would so date me.

8 Comments:

At 3:50 pm, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

I know the feeling about the crap. I paid a visit to the local video store on Saturday and brought home Capote, which was great, but I was at a loss as to what else to get.

 
At 8:41 am, Blogger fingers said...

The reason there is so much crap at the DVD store is because 90% of the movies made are crap, Einstein.
The DVD store simply reflects the proportion of decent films relative to doo-doo that is out there, which in turn proportionally mirrors the taste of the viewing public.
Then again, it makes it that much sweeter when you do find a great movie every now and then...

 
At 9:29 am, Blogger Original Mel said...

When in doubt, grab something with either:

(a) explosions, car chases, blood and bad guys with accents; or
(b) Wil Ferrell

Choice (a) is brain candy and requires simply the movie knowledge that shooting a car will inevitably lead to a firey explosion of said car. Choice (b) means you can laugh at a man yelling. A lot. And probably dick jokes.

Oh, and the scary thing is I know you have currently lent out your Spaced dvds, and yet you are able to recite Tim's diatribe, word for word, without the assistance of said dvds.

 
At 9:37 am, Blogger Mex said...

you should find a list of the greatest 100 movies of all time and then slowly, slowly work your way through them...

i read a book about that once. they guy was going through the list of 1000 movies and he would watch one a day. and then when he got to the end he didnt know what to do with himself.

 
At 7:22 pm, Blogger killerrabbit said...

I've seen Spaced and it rocks! But I did live in England while it was showing on TV. Unlike here they manage to put good shows on at decent times. Anyway....have you seen Black Books? AB recommended it and goddamn its funny.

 
At 12:16 am, Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG Georgia I thought I was the only one - what is it about him??!!

 
At 8:28 am, Blogger Thursday's Child said...

Ohhh Black Books. I fancy him too.

I know what I will be re-watching this weekend.

 
At 8:54 am, Blogger WJ said...

Bill Bailey from Black Books makes a few appearances in Spaced, and some of the Spaced guys pop up in Black Books.

I actually think that Spaced is funnier, but that may just be their taking the piss out of lots of pop culture and maybe even some sci fi issues. Whatever they are...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home